





Shelburne is an historic seaside town on the south shore of Nova Scotia. An half hour from where we were staying. Coincidentally (maybe?) I picked up a "Our Canadian Girl" book from the library about a week before we left, about a young slave girl in the 1700's who lived in Nova Scotia. As I'm reading it, I discovered it was about Shelburne and Birchtown. I was shocked! I couldn't believe we would be visiting a place I was reading about in just a short time. It was so neat, and what an interesting story. I read it to the kids and we learned so much about the history of the loyalists who landed there 225 years ago! What was also fascinating was that we were visiting during the celebration of that landing! It was all very exciting for the kids to read about something and then experience it almost first hand, but I will go into that detail in the next post as Finn is clawing at me, and I don't know how to save my draft and then reedit itlater!! The pics are of our first visit to Shelburne. Notice the British "flags" around the fence of the outdoor cafe we ate at. Also notice the Dory building shop. More on that later (for Paul!) Luke is performing a "wooden" dance with the old fashioned "instrument." Bethany and LUke are reenacting preparing a meal in the basement kitchen of an historic home. There were a number of properties on the waterfront which were built the first year the loyalists landed. ie they were 225 years old! Very neat to tour all these homes and museums and also to see the trade of dory building and longboat building. We can back to Shelburne for the celebration... so more on that later.
1 comment:
Yeah! Hi my friend. I have tried to leave comments before but discovered that I had to have a gmail account. Just wanted to say hi, I am glad that you are blogging! Miss you all! Looks like great times this summer.
Post a Comment